Thursday, April 16, 2020

tap into the past

It almost felt like the good old days when we loaded into the car and took off down the road. Flurries, almost a small blizzard, almost turned us back, but like the adventurers we were, we kept going.

First: a curb-side drop off at Mom and Dad’s. I had a mask for them, as well as a tub of disinfecting wipes. We visited from 10 feet away - I had to quelsh the urge to run over and hug them. I’m not a big hugger, but the desire was strong. It was almost harder to see them in person than talk on the phone - it felt unnatural to be so far away.

    Mom and Dad



Next was a curb-side pickup at Canadian Tire to get the kitchen faucets that we’d ordered. Both kitchen sink taps are acting up and it’s just a matter of time before they fully fubar so we want to be prepared. Once the restrictions are off we’ll get a plumber in to install them along with a few other bits of work. Our current taps were installed when we built the house in 1994 so they’ve done a good service.

Our route home took us past FreshCo and since that part of the grocery list was getting longer Carm donned his protective gear and entered the dragon’s lair. I felt terrible sending him in to do battle with an invisible enemy while I sat useless in the car. Also, the problem with sending him alone, with just a paper list, is that I am never certain what he’ll get… or how much… 

I put down macaroni on the list, which to me is the little elbow pasta and nothing else. Well, to him, an Italian, it means any short pasta so he bought tons of rigatoni and rotini. Seriously… tons. And no macaroni! I want to make my Mom’s Hungarian Goulash from my childhood - comfort food at its best. I think the rotini will substitute just fine. Note to self: ask Mom for the recipe.

Anyone want to come over for corned beef and cabbage? I have a stack of corned beef in the freezer that is threatening to topple over! Considering I’ve only made it 3 times in my life we are well provisioned! Do you have any good recipes for corned beef and pasta?

     great grandparents on my Dad’s side

    with my great grandmother on my Mom’s side. I think I have a faint memory of this visit.


No cooking for me tonight aside from some asparagus in the actifry, instead we had cheese fondue to use up the other loaf of bread I baked yesterday. Easy peasy.


Headline tonight: More deaths in Canada so far than were forecast.  676,339 cases, with 34,552 deaths in the US. There are a total of 29,929 (28,379 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 1,191 (1,010 yesterday) deaths to date.


“Of course there must be lots of Magic in the world," he said wisely one day, "but people don't know what it is like or how to make it. Perhaps the beginning is just to say nice things are going to happen until you make them happen. I am going to try and experiment.”
~Frances Hodgson Burnett

No comments: