Monday, May 17, 2021

polar plunge

 We set a record today! First swim of the year on May 17! It was cold (bloody cold at 20C) but we got in and did a lap for posterity. With the trend for warmer weather it won’t be long until a dip in the pool will feel normal and not like some awesome feat!


It’s fitting that this feat was done on Norway’s Constitution Day as surely my Viking blood made this skinny dip possible. And it proves that Carm must have a touch of the Nordic in him too!



Today might be the peak day for all the spring flowers. The tulips are ratty but still bright, the apple trees will start losing any day now, the hawthorne are fully flowered and I’m already seeing white petals on the ground, the lilac trees are a few days away from their peak, and down in the hollow, the chocolate trees are just past prime. The ground will soon be littered with tatters from the spring celebration bouquets that Nature presented us with.


At the bottom of a little hill in front of the house is one of our brush piles, but this isn’t any old pile, it does double duty as the poop pile - it’s easy to pick a poop up with the shovel and toss it in. There’s a bit of a smell… but walk back up to the house and at a certain point the fragrance of flowers takes over. Against the house I see the trees that I yammer on about, the tulips and maybe a dog or two. A feeling of home and contentment washes over me.


I had a little reminisce of a trip to California that I took with my parents when I was in grade 12. We spent a day at Disneyland and then drove down the coast to Mexico. I don’t remember much but I can recall how much fun it was to bring little kids to Disney. Olaf didn’t remember much from that visit and what he did recall might have been because I’ve told him the story so many times. Memory is funny that way.




Awesome!


“vaccines open for 18+ in Ontario tomorrow - so excited that the nieces will get getting the freedom jab”

“standing with my face shoved into a stand of flowering lilac - so many awesome things about that! Hundreds of tiny perfectly formed blossoms, the fragrance, the beauty of the tree itself”

No comments: