Saturday, May 22, 2021

restrictions reducing

 It’s been four hundred and thirty three (433) days since Covid restrictions started. It feels like forever ago and that life has always been day in and day out monotony. I suppose I’ve adapted well. BUT! Starting today we are allowed to gather outdoors with 3 other people! That’s a lot. We didn’t take advantage of the reduced restriction today though - with the mercury in the low 30s (celcius) it is just too hot to be sitting in the sun. Not to mention the risk of being carried away by mosquitos.


The pool has warmed up to a ‘comfortable’ 74F/24C. I even dug out  the noodles so I could float around for a few minutes. At these cool temps I don’t linger but it is wonderful to be swimming!


Adia had a mani/pedi yesterday - we’ve stopped giving her the anti-anxiety tablets and she’s doing great. She’s standing still and cooperating well. Oh, and she had her first sponge bath since she got here. Her first bath was the day we got her and that was a rodeo. We haven’t revisited the interaction with water. Yesterday she had one small freak out but stood still for the rest. I didn’t use the hose, we’ll work up to that.


I originally had these awesomes in my list, but I rambled on so moved them up into their own paragraphs… I have nothing to say but somehow have babbled on!


On my really tired day the bed called to me especially strongly and I was too tired to resist. I stretched out on the cool linen sheets and felt myself sinking into my divot. The neighboring birds got together to sing me a lullaby and as I started to drift off a fly started bumping against the screen with a low buzz - its movements were slow and sultry bringing to mind a hot summer day. I felt transported somewhere familiar from long in the past. I couldn’t pinpoint exactly where (were there many times?), maybe a screen porch, or my great-grandparents sofa, or Aunty Rena’s farm, or in a tent - no matter where it was it must have been a good experience as I felt cradled by the sound.


A video of Louis Armstrong and Danny Kaye singing ‘When the Saints Go Marching In” was high on my awesome list today. DK’s whole demeanor was of joy and love - I couldn’t help but smile and feel my spirits lift. I’ve always liked DK but didn’t know much about him: he’s a conductor and has conducted the Philharmonic Orchestra among others, he is licenced to fly jets, he’s done tons of philanthropic work. We know he can dance and sing. I’ve saved the link to the video so I can revisit if I’m feeling a bit down. https://youtu.be/nCuLoVI1RP0 



Awesome!


“the heavily perfumed air when I step out the front door”

“hearing that my niece got her first vaccine”

“finding ½ an eggshell on the driveway - the blue was miraculous”

“licking the spatula from the mushroom stuffing”

“crying about something that happened 44 years ago but then remembering how long ago it was and that it's merely a distant memory and holds no space in my head.”

“singing ‘I’m on the Top of the World’ by the Carpenters”

No comments: