Thursday, January 6, 2011

Aureate


Today's word of the day is aureate (OR-ee-ut adjective - of a golden color or brilliance ; marked by grandiloquent and rhetorical style). If the sun was out it would be an aureate globe of gold in the sky. Instead there is a grayish white cast to the sky with snow falling steadily. The aureate angels that decorated the house were put away yesterday. The house seems empty and bare now, with a hollow echo - even the funny little tree with the glowing gold angel on top filled its little spot with good cheer and warmth. Maybe I should go out and cut a bare branched tree that I could bring in and cover with the little christmas lights. Silly idea I guess.

Lets see, what was my idle pleasure today? Was it luxuriating in bed before facing the day? Or maybe it was sitting on the love seat with a cup of tea watching the snow fall, knowing that I didn't have to be out driving? I just feel so RELAXED that everything is a pleasure these days.

I can FLY!

Today I grabbed Betty Crocker's Hamburger Cookbook off my recipe book shelf. Hamburger was on sale so I wanted to take advantage. The Beef & Lentil stew sounded good. It cooks in a Dutch oven but I could probably adapt it for the slow cooker, making it perfect for camping. Its got ground meat, which I never cook with, lentils, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms. I have a bunch of fresh sage so I added that as well. It was okay, a good comfort food and really easy. I may make it again, but its not on the favorite list. Last night at the pub I had "toad in the hole" which is sausage cooked in Yorkshire pudding. It was good, but my Yorkshire is much better! I see that next week has Sirloin tip oven roasts on sale for $1.99 lb - good excuse for yorkshire!

Sky cleared just in time for sunset

No comments: