Monday, January 10, 2011

Committed

ready for the oven
We made Moroccan bread again today - I was going to make my own bread recipe that I came up with several years ago (its got every healthy ingredient that you can think of - bran, oat bran, rolled oats, whole wheat flour, etc.) but I didn't have any molasses. Since we like the Moroccan one though it wasn't a hardship. This time I used whole wheat flour - its a bit heavier, but still good. I saved a bit of the dough aside and cooked it in the frying pan again. It was nice to have with lunch, along with the Roasted Garlic & Eggplant spread (can you say garlic - whew - no vampires for us today), and a salad on the side. I know I've said it before, but one of the greatest things about being retired (so far) is having the time to make nice meals.

Today's word of the day is issuable (ISH-oo-uh-bul adjective - 1: open to contest, debate, or litigation ; 2: authorized for issue ; 3: possible as a result or consequence). The invitations to our party are now issuable as we know what day we want to have it on. Don't have anything better than that.

I finished Elizabeth Gilbert's book Committed today. It wasn't what I expected it to be but was an enjoyable read nonetheless. Its about marriage and how it has changed through the times, what it meant for women and how it is evolving even today. It made me grateful that I was married in the 1980's and not earlier. Marriages of today are more likely to be equal partnerships than the dictatorships of the past. I believe she said that it wasn't until the 1970's that married woman were legally allowed to have their own bank accounts. It seems unbelievable based on the freedoms and equalities of today. That being said I did have to ask Carm to wash the bread-making dishes - he did it as soon as I asked - but - he didn't think to do it himself (I guess I was supposed to do it?). To be fair though he did do some of the kneading (when I asked).


My idle pleasure today - I headed outside with the dogs to a cold, windy, winter day, not at all pleasant, but knowing that when I get back inside a hot cup of cocoa and a hot bubble bath were waiting makes even the cold pleasurable. Lovely. The contrast between the cold winter day makes the warmth seem even more warm, in fact it warms to the very core of my being. Life is good.



No comments: