Saturday, January 15, 2011

Crochet a Square

It was a snowy day with 10 cm predicted. We were going to go for a little tramp just around the hay field to let the dogs stretch their legs, but changed our minds once we got out there - the wind was coming sideways - Kabira was hunched and shivering - we people were bundled with our hoods up - the wooly poodles were the only ones raring to go. Kabira spent most of the day bundled up in her Mickey Mouse sweatshirt - she asked me this morning for it by sitting in front of me and shivering. As soon as I dug it out she ran over and stuck her head in. She even lifts her legs to help me get the arms onto her. They she prances and stamps around all happy and warm. She always shows her appreciation.

Today's word of the day is charisma (kuh-RIZ-muh noun 1: a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure (as a political leader) ; 2: a special magnetic charm or appeal). What public figures come to mind for you. For the first meaning of the word, my first thought was President Obama, his charisma is based on cool, thoughtful wisdom. Politics aside, he has a grace and aura about him that makes him a natural leader. He is someone that I would be proud to represent my country on an international level (we won't talk about our PM though - he might be the anti-charisma). For the second definition though, I'll have to go with Guy Fieri (from Food Networks "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" - we watched it tonight). I would say that he has a special magnetic charm, he is very likeable and engages those around him as he traverses the US in the search for good food. I think charisma is a gift that someone is born with, but perhaps it can be cultivated.

my first square!
The last few days I've been "trying" to learn how to crochet. I found a utube video to get me started, and then from the depths of the basement dragged out a magazine that showed a few stitches. I had learned a tiny bit about 20 years ago, but only made a scarf and a dog coat - I never learned any real stitches or techniques - so its been like learning all over again. As you can see from the photo of the square (yes, square) I'm trying to make I have a lot more practicing to do!

Spike has been watching me with the ball of yarn and was a bit curious, though not overly so. Yesterday afternoon when it was time to make dinner I stuck the yarn and my "work" into a magazine and left it on the coffee table. I went into the kitchen and was in the middle of dinner preparations when I looked up to see that Spike had dropped the ball of yarn at my feet. OH NO I said, expecting to find a huge trail of yarn over the whole house, but no, just around the corner was the end with my "square" basically unharmed (as if you'd be able to tell). We had a good laugh and thought Spike very helpful, and a little bit naughty.

Tonight I made "Penne with Roasted Eggplant and Wild Mushrooms". It is not on the healthy diet plan, but one night should be fine. I didn't have wild mushrooms but instead used a combination of dried porcini, baby bella's, and portabellos. The recipe also called for 1 cup of ricotta cheese but I just used 1/2 that to keep the calories down. I don't think it suffered from the change, in fact it was fabulous! Then to make it a real night off the diet we had apple crisp (which isn't really that bad as I don't use the full amount of sugar and use double the rolled-oats). Our stomachs were FULL.

No comments: